Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Ancestry.com's Shoebox

One of my favorite movies of all time is "The Princess Bride".  It has action, humor, romance and a little bit of mystery.  It is rather cheeky but still fun.  It also has a "pit of despair".  While Wesley and Buttercup run into the fire swamp to hide, they find rodents of unusual size, quick sand, and fire.  They successfully navigate the fire swamp but not without getting their feathers ruffled a bit or rather charred.  Once they exit the fire swamp, they are captured and Wesley is then taken to the "pit of dispair" for some torture and later escape. 

So why do I bring this up?  I relate the Ancestry.com Shoebox to the "pit of despair".  Not only does it present itself as great place to save or hide those documents that you think might match your family tree down the line, it gives one hope that you won't have to recreate the wheel of research to find them again.  I've been adding items to the Shoebox for months and now am up to 119.  I have not yet found rodents, quick sand, fire, or torture devices, but I have yet to navigate through and sort out my shoebox.  I started calling it a pit and then the name just rang so true from the movie.

I guess I need some motivation to go through and see if I have any treasures or just taunts.  Maybe some of those possible matching documents will escape.  As Nike used to say (and I just can't help this with a name like 'Shoebox'), JUST DO IT!.............ok maybe when i find time...

No comments:

Post a Comment