Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

Follow This Blog!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Stanly Ranch - Part 2

As soon as I wonder, I find information. Edward Stanly must have been a very interesting person. I found references to two duels that he was involved in plus some fist fits he got involved with on the floor of Congress. His southern voting contingency thought he was a traitor for supporting the union. I so love the information that you can find online. I do wonder how factual it is but it does lend itself to some interesting insight into this gentlemen’s personality. When the Whig party was discontinued, he became a republican. It is no wonder he lost in the run for governor in California. A democrat won in 1857. It cracks me up that he was buried as a democrat. He did not agree with President Lincoln giving into Congressional radicals over the Emancipation Proclamation so became a “Dem”.

Let me try to get back on track with the residents of the Carneros area of Napa. Every now and again I find information about the “Ten Threatened Treasures’ List” for Napa and the Napa Valley. Sometimes the list has the Stanly and Flanagan ranch houses and sometimes they are just on the “watch list”. Let’s just say that I know the Flanagan house is still there (barely) but I question if the Stanly house is there at this point.

Again, I found information online that mentions Edward Stanly. Edward was the original owner of the Stanly Ranch, Stanly Lane, Napa, California. When his nephew and heir, John A. Stanly, a distinguished Superior Court judge in San Francisco, inherited the property, a house was built. The Judge lived in the City (San Francisco and/or Oakland) during the weekdays and stayed at the ranch on the weekends. The house was built in 1872.

What a coincidence to find that a winery owns the Stanly house and intend to reconstruct the home to host wine tasting and parties. Where have I heard this story before? Oh wait, let’s rewind to the post about the Flanagan Ranch house. A winery wanted to do that same thing there but the cost is too high to restore the historic home.

At least the Flanagan house still stands where it was built. The Stanly house was moved to a different location on the premises. Ah ha! That’s what happened to that house that could be seen for years from Highway 29 with a eucalyptus tree lying on it, crushing the roof. I always thought it was sad to look over and see this modest dwelling with a tree on it. There were other buildings and dwellings on the property so I would never have thought that was the Judge’s old house. It apparently was from what I've researched. I don’t know if it will make an appearance again. I may need to drive down Stanly Lane the next time that I’m in Napa and take a peek.  I think that the current owner of the Stanly Ranch keeps things locked up pretty well so there won't be any wandering there.

To be continued........

No comments:

Post a Comment