Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mary Ellen Gartland McLaughlin

Recently, I posted about the Gartland Fox Families, plus many Gartland's are included in the "Descendants of Thomas McLaughlin" posts.  I immediately received an email from one of my favorite researchers who emails me information that he has along the way.  He sent me a photo of his great-grandmother who is my great-great-great (G3) grandmother, Mary Ellen Gartland McLaughlin circa 1860-1870.  I have posted her photo on the photo page of this blog.

Can I just say how much I love photos?  Well, I do.  They tell you so much.  Afterall, "a picture is worth a thousand words".   I just wished that people were smiling in the photos.   That was not the practice at the time, however.

For all of you Flanagan/Fratessa/McLaughlin's, Maxwell/McLaughlin's, McLaughlin's related to James McLaughlin (b. 1816) and so forth, Mary Ellen Gartland McLaughlin is our ancestor.  Her parents were James Gartland (b. 1777 Carrickmacross, Ireland) and Hannah Fox (b. 1785, Ireland).  She was born August 1, 1816 probably in Carrickmacross, Ireland.   In 1824, the family immigrated via Quebec, Canada to the Irish Settlement in Newport, New York.  Mary Ellen's two brothers that I know of were Hugh Joseph and Frank Gartland.  It is highly likely that the Fox Family also immigrated during this timeframe to the Irish Settlement.

On January 6, 1838, Mary Ellen Gartland married James McLaughlin at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Newport, New York.  The church and cemetery were located in the Irish Settlement.  The witnesses to their marriage were Thomas McLaughlin and Esther Gartland.   Mary Ellen and James had seven children all born in Newport, New York between the years of 1840 and 1857.  Their children were Thomas Michael (my great-great grandfather), Frank, James, Michael, Hugh, Elizabeth, and Maurice.  It is probably interesting to note here that there are living descendants of Thomas Michael, James, Elizabeth, and Maurice (pronounced Morris).  Frank and Hugh passed away rather young while in the West.   Michael and his wife raised four of James' children and apparently did not have children of his own.

I wonder what Mary Ellen Gartland McLaughlin was like.  She passed away on June 15, 1874.  Here is her burial information and obituary:

Burial: 18 Jun 1874, at Old St. Patrick's Ceme., Irish Settlement, Newport, NY.
Her obituary appeared in the ‘Utica Observer’, on Tuesday, 16 Jun 1874, pg.3 as follows: “ DIED. – McLAUGHLIN - At Newport, Herk. Co., NY. June 15th., 1874, Mrs. Mary, wife of James McLaughlin, aged 57 Yr. 10 Mo. 14 Da. The funeral will take place from her late residence tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, at 10 ½ o’clock, and from St. Patrick’s church, Newport, NY., at 11 o’clock. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.”    

I do wonder if there is any additional information out there about Mary Ellen Gartland.  I do have more information about her husband, James McLaughlin, and her father, James Gartland.

No comments:

Post a Comment