Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Who Am I Looking For?

In my research to find my ancestors, I have made plenty of message board posts on various internet sites including Ancestry.com.  What I've found is that these message boards vary in their searchability and usefulness.  In my attempt to push further back in time with my family line, I am posting my own "message board" type posts here.   So who am I looking for?   Check out my list below:

1.   Thomas McLaughlin
       -circa 1750-1760
       -Ringowny, Parish of Edgeworthstown, County Longford, Ireland

      I have strong information completed by previous McLaughlin researchers that this is the name of our ancestor, the timeframe, and the location of our McLaughlin origins.  I have a complete family tree from 1785 to present which includes locations stateside such as the Irish Settlement in Newport, New York.  If anyone finds this post and knows more about the McLaughlin's from the 1700s, I'd love to chat with you.

2.   James Gartland
      -b. 1777 d. 1870 (Newport, New York)
      -Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, Ireland

     James Gartland can definitely be found in Newport, New York by the 1830 U.S. Census.  Finding him in Ireland has apparently not really been attempted by other researchers that I know of.  He was married to Hannah Fox.  The Gartland's/Gartlan's and Fox Families are sure to have known each other in Ireland and probably not just because of the marriage between James and Hannah.  There is so much information online about Gartland's and Fox's in County Monaghan that I am not sure where to begin.   Any guidance or help would be wonderful.

3.   Hannah Fox
      -b. 1785  d.  9 Feb 1850 (Newport, New York)
      -Clontibret, County Monaghan, Ireland

     I can certainly find Hannah with her husband, James Gartland, in Newport, New York.  What I find even more interesting is that Hannah's brother, Thomas Fox, can also be found in Newport, New York.   It would appear that more than one sibling in this Fox Family immigrated from Ireland to Newport, New York's Irish Settlement.  Finding this family stateside has been relatively easy.  Finding them in Ireland is another story.  I can't seem to find where anyone has made that attempt.

4.  James Maxwell
     -b. 1786
     -Scotland

    In my recent research,  I have the location of James Maxwell's son, Joseph Patrick Maxwell, in the Parish of Moynalty, County Meath, Ireland.  In fact, he may have been living in Shancarnan.  I find his wife, Judith Shaffrey, in Dunshaughlin, County Meath, Ireland.   They had several children and immigrated to Newport, New York's Irish Settlement in 1853.   Was James Maxwell actually in Ireland?  Where was he from in Scotland?  Who was his wife?

5.  Simon Shaffrey
     -b.  1779 
     -Dunshaughlin, Parish of Moynalty, County Meath, Ireland

     My first question here would be "Is Simon Shaffrey actually Judith Shaffrey's father?"  There is the speculation.  Judith was from the Parish of Moynalty, County Meath, Ireland.  A previous researcher was able to research Roman Catholic Church records for this location and found Judith and Joseph Patrick Maxwell along with several of their children in this location.  Have I found my ancestor in Simon Shaffrey?

I am looking for other lines in Ireland but these Irish Catholics are all connected to my McLaughlin line that immigrated from Ireland to the Irish Settlement in Newport, New York.   Will more information present itself?

2 comments:

  1. My McLaughlin Family has stopped - With James McLaughlin married to Judith Gaughner son James (1836)married to Bridget Buckley (18420 all in Meath Cty Ireland Can you help. Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. Not sure that I am much of any help. I am stuck with my McLaughlin's in County Longford. I do think that in order to go further in Ireland, contacting the Irish National Archives or the local heritage centers is the way to go. It will cost you to have research completed. I believe this will be my next course of action.

    ReplyDelete