Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

Follow This Blog!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Flanagan's of County Louth - Part 1

My Flanagan Family in Ireland has a huge amount of information about our family tree and history that any genealogist or historian would find amazing.  What is even more impressive is that they are records located in Ireland which Ancestry.com has indicated are so hard to come by.  Well then, I feel even more fortunate to have access to my Flanagan Family History via family in Ireland.

If you are wondering what type of family records that the Flanagan's have, I will reference some of these records in my posts.  They are, in fact, primary source records for all of those researchers out there.  The sources I am referring to are letters, account books, and diaries.  There are also other publications that would be considered secondary sources, I suppose, as they include transcriptions of the information and the family tree.  

A distant cousin also completed research on the Flanagan's.  His information from 2004 is pretty darn awesome.  He uses modern day media to present this information.  Since he is a living individual and actually appears to be either my age or a little younger, I will not call out his name here.   As always, with a few exceptions, I do not include living individuals in my blog.  Let's just say that he lives very close to the "source information".  He also deserves the credit for compiling the information that I write about in the following posts. 

Where did the Flanagan's originate and how did they end up in County Louth?  

The Flanagan's descend from one family who held the hereditary post of the Steward of the Kings of Connaught since the 13th Century in County Roscommon.  Their specific kingdom location was based near Elphin in County Roscommon.

It is likely that my Flanagan's moved to Louth around the Battle of the Boyne in the 17th Century.  The other possibility was that the English transplanted them from Connaught.

What does the name Flanagan mean?

"Flann" meaning reddish or ruddy which could be hair or complexion.

Is anyone interested in learning more about the Flanagan's of County Louth?   See my next post.........

No comments:

Post a Comment