Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thomas C. Malloy, Jr.

Recently, I had a Walsh descendant email me some Malloy information.  In fact, the Walsh's are cousin's of the Malloy's and Duffy's who are cousin's of my Maxwell's and McLaughlin's of Napa.  Now, they all originate in some way shape or form in the community that was in Austin, Lander County, Nevada.  It is starting to become clearer to me just how tight the families in Austin were back in the latter part of the 1800s.  In fact, they shared their religion (Catholic) and the majority of them appear to have been Irish or of Irish descent.

The information that I have today is the obituary of Thomas C. Malloy Jr. of Napa, California.  I will strike the living people's first names from the obit. for privacy reasons.  This is my practice and should be everyone's who is involved in publicly posting genealogy information.  I will provide some commentary after the following information:

Napy Valley Register, 2/14/2008.

NAPA - Thomas C. Malloy, Jr., 96, died peacefully on Feb. 9, 2008, after a brief stay at the Meadows.  He was born in Napa on Sept. 4, 1911, to Thomas C. Malloy Sr. and Ella [Ellen] (Duffy) Malloy.

He began his business career as manager of the Uptown Theater in Napa where he hired youths for their first jobs.   Later, he was promoted to general manager of the Lawrence Borg Trust in San Francisco where he oversaw the acquisition and sale of real estate property and theaters.

He was predeceased by the love of his life and wife of 51 years, Dolly F. Malloy.  Tom and Dolly's proudest legacy was their family.................................

The funeral Mass will be held on Friday morning, Feb. 15, 10am, at St. John's Catholic Church.  The rosary and vigil service will be held tonight, Feb. 14, at 7pm, at the Claffey and Rota Funeral Home.

Memorial contributions may be made to St. John's Catholic School, 960 Caymus St., Napa, CA 94559, or to Queen of the Valley Hospital Foundation, PO BOX 2069, Napa, CA, 94558.

What can be really great about obituaries is the list of the family members, which this one does have but I have omitted those who I believe to be living.  I will, however, be adding them to my family tree on Ancestry.com.

One thing that I will say about Thomas C. Malloy, Jr. is that he worked on his family tree.  I, in fact, have some of the papers that he shared with my grandfather, his cousin, Richard J. Flanagan of Napa, CA.  My grandfather's grandmother, Ellen Maxwell McLaughlin, and Thomas C. Malloy Jr.'s grandmother, Catherine "Katie" Maxwell Duffy, were sisters.  Thomas provided my grandfather with the only photo that I have of the two sisters together.  It is actually the only photo that I have of Ellen Maxwell McLaughlin.

As my final comment, I do want to honor Tom Malloy for all of his genealogy research.  I'm not sure the full extent of his work.  I thank him for sharing what he did have with my grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment