Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Where are my Roman's? - Part 2

When I go looking for my Romaine's, I have determined that Mary was born in 1878, that she likely had a brother named John, and her parents were Joseph and Frances.  Next, I found an 1880 U.S. Census with Joseph, Frances, Mary plus a son Joseph and a daughter Rosa living in Manhattan on the lower Eastside.  The last name is spelled as Rohmann in the census.  Did I find them?  It certainly could be.  If so, Joseph and Frances are Prussian.

So where do I go next with this search?  At FamilySearch.org, I found that there are many records online for Manhattan to include marriages, deaths, and births.  It is hit or miss for this along with the timefarmes but my Romaine's seem to be a bit of a hit.  I can honestly say that I've had little to no luck with my other Manhattan family surnames.  Again, I kick myself for not trying this out sooner.

Here's what I've found............

Mary Roman


New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962


birth: 20 Nov 1878 — 240 Delancey St , New York City, New York


residence: Nyor, Newyork


parents: Joseph Roman, Francis Lindeaurm Roman


record title: New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962


name: Mary Roman


gender: Female


birth date: 20 Nov 1878


birthplace: 240 Delancey St , New York City, New York


father's name: Joseph Roman


mother's name: Francis Lindeaurm Roman


indexing project (batch) number: C71508-7


system origin: New_York-ODM


source film number: 1322134

Yes, I feel very confident that this is my great grandmother's birth record.  Her mother's maiden name is fairly butchered.  Just wait and see the various versions of her last name.  She must have had a thick accent or maybe Joseph did when speaking the name.

Joseph Rohman


New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962


birth: 26 Oct 1872 — Manhattan, New York, New York, USA


residence: Nyor, Newyork


parents: Joseph, Frances Lendevorson



record title: New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962


name: Joseph Rohman


gender: Male


birth date: 26 Oct 1872


birthplace: Manhattan, New York, New York, USA


father's name: Joseph


mother's name: Frances Lendevorson


indexing project (batch) number: C00772-1


system origin: New_York-ODM


source film number: 1315320

The above record would appear to be my great grandmother's brother.  Yet again we see a different spelling of the "Roman" name and Frances' maiden name.
 
John Rohman


New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962


birth: 23 Aug 1887 — Manhattan, New York, New York, USA


residence: Nyor, Newyork


parents: Joseph Rohman, Franeisca Luchwnrm

record title: New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962


name: John Rohman


gender: Male


birth date: 23 Aug 1887


birthplace: Manhattan, New York, New York, USA


father's name: Joseph Rohman


mother's name: Franeisca Luchwnrm


indexing project (batch) number: C00539-1


system origin: New_York-ODM


source film number: 1322224

And here we are again.  The surnames are spelled differently.  I believe that this is another brother of my great grandmother, Mary.  Will I find more children?  Will I find my "Roman's"?

I still arrive back at a comment made by my Granddad made in 1990 as I sat at the dining room table in their house in Franklin Square, New York.  He said that his mother, Mary Romaine, was part Dutch.  There is a Dutchman ancestor somewhere back in the line who came through New Orleans.  Someone, maybe a Romaine or her mother's family, then made their way to New York.  Who was in New Orleans?  What's that story?

Let's just say my Granddad's information has been very right so far.  He's batting 1000 with the McGrath maiden name for his grandmother and indicating that his cousin was Coach Frank McGuire.  The proof is in my sourcing but his information has led the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment