Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pay It Forward - Genealogy and Beyond

The 2000 film called "Pay It Forward" starring Helen Hunt, Kevin Spacey, and Haley Joel Osment had lots of drama, the impact of "Hollywood" style storytelling, and likeable characters.  At the crux of the story was a "good-movement".  That is to say if someone does a good deed for you, return the deed to someone else down the line.  Applying this to my genealogy research seems to produce wonderful results.

I may not have all of the answers and am looking for more information about my own family tree but I do try to help others with their research.  Considering that I am still in my own learning curve on genealogy research (but may be approaching the top where learning levels off a bit), I take opporunities to share, collaborate, and compare notes.  I do try to "pay it forward" when I can.  Helping others who do want to be helped is a good way to go about working on your family tree.

In giving help and sharing information, it is always a benefit to practice good manners online.  That can be tricky at times.  The other end of the help may not be looking to communicate further.  Those that you may have helped may not always remember to say "thank you".  However, you never can tell when one good deed will return another so "pay it forward".

No comments:

Post a Comment