Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

Follow This Blog!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Richard Joseph Flanagan - Part 4

I have had some hesitation in posting such an personal account of my grandpa but he was such an important person in my life that I could not let the opportunity to "write it down" pass me by.  So,  I continue with Dick's story............

I must admit to not really knowing how Dick got to know his wife, Dorothy Marie Borchers.  They were both born and raised in Napa, California.  As Napa natives, they probably had people that they knew in common plus Napa was a pretty small place.  What is curious to me though is that they did get together at all.   While Dick was born in 1912, Dorothy was not born until 1921.  Dick was just over eight years her senior.  In addition, Dick came from an Irish Catholic family and background, while Dorothy was German Lutheran.

They didn't go to the same church, although I always find it interesting that their churches had the same name.  St. John's seems to be a popular saint name for many Christian churches.   Dick went to St. John's Catholic Church in Napa while Dorothy attended St. John's Lutheran Church in Napa.  In fact, Dorothy's Vienop family helped start St. John's Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod), Napa, California.  I am talking about the one on Linda Vista in Napa but also the original St. John's, too.

Dick Flanagan and Dorothy Borchers were married on November 7, 1940, in Reno, Nevada.  They eloped to Reno and were married in a Catholic church there.  After being married, they came home to tell their families.  The big deal was telling Dorothy's parents.  Now, I knew them.  Neither were prone to losing their temper and not surprising at all, they were rather shocked about the elopement.  If you'd have ever met Herb and Mary Borchers, though, you'd know what even temperaments they had and how accepting of everyone they were.  From the sounds of things, all was well after the initial surprise announcement of their marriage.  (I'm not sure how long the shock and surprise lasted though.)

Something that I do find interesting is that they did receive wedding gifts.  I wonder if they had a reception after the fact.  They had fine china, silverware, and other types of kitchen items and giftware that one receives as wedding gifts.  In fact, I have their china - Bavarian China from Germany pre-WWII.

So was life easy for Dick and Dorothy?

To be continued......................

No comments:

Post a Comment